On the first of November 2003, Domaine J-F Mugnier increased from 4 to 14 hectares. The Clos de la Maréchale, under the sole ownership of the Mugnier family since 1902, reverted to the Domaine when the farming contract ended after 53 years.
The origin of the name of this Clos is unknown. In 1855 the vineyard was known as ‘Clos des Fourches’, then ‘Clos Maréchal’ in 1892, before changing to ‘Clos de la Maréchale’ in the 20th century.
Research by the historian Jean-François Bazin shows no evidence of a Marshal, or the widow of a Marshal, during the Second Empire being connected to this village. Further research is necessary. Therefore, to follow…
The Clos de la Maréchale has a surface of 9 hectares, 76 ares. It is the largest monopole (an appellation belonging to a single owner) in the Côte d’Or. The average age of the vines in 2009 is about 45 years old.
The geological stratum on which the Clos de la Maréchale is situated plunges wellbelow the surface of the soil further south, marking the end of the Côte de Nuits, only to reappear in Le Montrachet between Puligny and Chassagne. Therefore one is not surprised to find the same qualities of power and longevity in these wines.
They are wines that always need 5 to 10 years of ageing before expressing their typically floral character : “The bouquet of the 1er crus of Premeaux is remarkable and persistent : one finds the aroma of iris mingled with raspberries. Even more so, that of white lilac”.